Behavior is like a glacier.
We can see 10 percent of the glacier on the surface, but the other 90 percent is below the surface. That 90 percent represents the “why” of personal behavior. On the surface, two people may behave similarly, but the reasons why they exhibit a particular behavior may be vastly different. People are driven by motivators, representing their individual needs, values and driving forces. While behavior (positive or negative) is seen by all, what motivates that behavior often remains under the surface.
In the workplace, managers tend to manage everyone in the same way. When their techniques fail to result in a desired behavior, they assume the employee is the problem, not the delivery. After all, other employees may have responded positively. The mistake is not recognizing that everyone needs to be managed differently because each person is motivated by different things. For example, one person may be motivated by money, while another person may be motivated by learning. For someone motivated by learning, the raises, bonuses and incentives won’t make much difference if the employee is left unchallenged and without mentorship. The employee will not feel understood by the manager. This will lead to less motivation to perform the job well.
So how can managers successfully motivate their teams? It starts by knowing what motivates each team member. Behavioral assessment tools, such as ProScan®, can uncover a person’s motivators, as well as their individual strengths and stressors. This brings awareness to both the manager and the employee and helps reve
al what lies in that 90 percent below the surface of personal behavior.
The things that motivate people speak to their sense of well being. These motivators will evolve over time as people mature and better understand what matters most to them. While money may motivate an employee in the spring of her career, it may not continue to provide motivation to the seasoned professional who is seeking meaningful and challenging work.
Ultimately, good managers find out what motivates their employees by listening to them. People want to be understood. They want to feel their organization cares about their wellbeing.
Surveys of American workers have identified several motivators which go beyond monetary compensation. What follows is a list of six commonly indicated motivating factors in the workplace:
Focusing on this list will help create a motivating work environment; however, never assume you know what motivates an individual employee. Keep the lines of communication open, and adjust your management style accordingly. It’s time to spring into motivating your team!
Allow Brink results to assist you in uncovering your team’s hidden potential! Call 239-334-1050 and ask for Jessica to set up ProScan® for your team.